Saint Agitator

God's Gift to Taboo-Ridden Christians

Sunday, August 28, 2005

Things I Eschew

I am not an antinomian. Obedience to God's commands is part of being a Christian.

I do not believe in indiscriminate tolerance. I believe that judging others is essential if one is to function in human society. Judging ourselves is equally, if not more, important.

I do not subscribe to the maxim "if it feels good, do it." I believe in both self-control (an aspect of the fruit of the Spirit) and self-denial (an aspect of being a disciple of Christ).

I am not an epicurean, an infidel or a hedonist. I do not exalt the pursuit of pleasure above all else. (I realize that the original Epicureans were not guilty of this).

I am also not an asthete in the negative/misunderstood sense of the word. I do not deny the legitimate place of sensual pleasure. Food, sex, comfort, rest all have their place and should be valued.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home